New Michigan History Directory Now Available

Posted December 1, 2011

The Historical Society of Michigan (HSM) is excited to announce the release of its latest triennial “Michigan History Directory.” First published in 1975, the directory’s 13th edition was released on December 1st.

A critical tool for anyone undertaking research in the state’s history, the latest directory includes detailed listings for more than 950 historical societies, museums, archives, historic sites, agencies, and commissions in Michigan. Entries include information about the organizations’ contact details, collections, mission statements, and more. Featuring several organizations that were not listed in the past, the 176-page directory is the most comprehensive catalog of historical resources available in Michigan.

The new directory is nearly 30% larger than the last edition.

“For the first time ever, the directory includes sidebars featuring some of the Society’s member organizations,” said HSM Executive Director Larry Wagenaar. “By spotlighting topics such as the Calcite Collection at the Presque Isle County Historical Museum and the formation of the Holly Historical Society, we hope to open our readers’ eyes to the many historical resources that this state has to offer.”

Sponsored by the Huizenga Group, the directory will be sold be sold through major bookstores and through the Society at www.hsmichigan.org or by calling (800) 692-1828. The directory costs $19.95 for the general public, and current HSM members can purchase a copy through the Society at a reduced price of $14.95. The Historical Society of Michigan, the state’s oldest cultural organization, was founded in 1828 by territorial governor Lewis Cass and explorer Henry Schoolcraft.

To order online or to print an order form, visit http://www.hsmichigan.org/publications/michigan-history-directory or call toll-free (800) 692-1828 to order over the phone.

 

Historical Society of Michigan 5815 Executive Drive Lansing, MI 48911
Email hsm@hsmichigan.org | Phone (517) 324-1828 | Fax (517) 324-4370

Designed by MATRIX and hosted by H-Net
Martrix logo